Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Britt's Visit



I love living in Charleston! I love being close to the beach. I love the warm weather. I love how much there is to do as a family. I love driving over bridges everywhere we go. I love our ward. I love all the new friends we have made. However, what I don't love is how far away from family we are. Yes, it is only 4 hours (from my family, in Gastonia and Raleigh) but that is the furthest I have ever been from them. We are 2 hours from Columbia which is far, but isn't quite as bad. Peter and I are so blessed to have family that loves to come visit! 
Brittany decided to come spend part of her spring break with us (March 2-6) This is the second time she has visited since January and she will be back for the bridge run at the end of this month! I LOVE my sisters and getting to spend time with them! 

Brittany came down Friday after her last midterm. Friday night we went downtown and ate at Toast with the Harvey's. We then went and got dessert. One of the bakeries here has a sweet and salty cupcake...it has salt on top of the icing...it is to die for! Amber and I decided Brittany had to try one. 
Saturday we had big plans to spend a day on the beach, despite rain in the forecast. We woke up to a partially cloudy sky and decided to try and beat the rain. We also wanted to give Peter some time to study in a quiet apartment. We made it out to Kiawah and 10 minutes later thunder cracked and the downpour came. I am pretty good at catching Brittany's surprised faces on camera.
Right as the thunder cracked.

Flashback to January 2011 when she opened her birthday present...
a t-shirt that said FUTURE AUNT BRITTANY

We decided a better idea for the afternoon would be to bake. I save all my baking ideas for when Britt is around. She enjoys it like I do so I just wait on her. This time we made a red velvet   cheese ball then a peanut butter one. Yummm! That night we took all our goodies and headed over to the Harvey's for the big Carolina vs. Duke game. It was ahhh-mazing!   

Walker enjoying the game in the shirt I made him
Sunday we went to church then relaxed. This was Brittany's second time coming to church with us. Im glad that she agreed to come so she can see what it is like, and that its not all that different.  Both times have been at the beginning of the month on fast and testimony Sunday. This time I took her to Relief Society since the first time she had the huge privilege of seeing me teach Young Women (sarcasm, hehe) We decided with all the running around from the day before that we all needed a nap that afternoon.

The forecast for Monday was 70 and sunny....so, back to the beach we went. There aren't many people on Kiawah Island so we decided to take the dogs this time. They had a blast...and so did we!








On our way home we stopped by Angel Oak. It is a BIG oak tree. The branches are so big and heavy that there are 2x4s holding some of them up. Its pretty awesome and if you are ever visiting the area I recommend going to see it.



My beautiful sister





  All of that running around Monday morning must have not worn us out enough. Pinterest got the best of us and we decided to take on one of the many projects. We stopped at Wal Mart and got white canvas shoes and die to make boring ugly shoes, fun! 

Before


$5 for the ones on the left, $9 for the ones on the right $2 for the dye

Boil Water and add the dye

Wet shoes then add to hot water (off stove now)...somehow we fit 4 shoes...2 of them being size 10

After 10 minutes rinse in cold water

Then dry
Hand sew elastic so you can take out the shoe strings

Finished. Cute summer shoes!



  
Tuesday afternoon Brittany left to go visit the rest of my family. I usually hate goodbyes but this one wasn't so bad. I was heading to Gastonia myself at the end of the week. I had such a fun time with my sister and can't wait until she comes again...next time with Jennifer!!! (P.S. we miss you Jenn!)

3 comments:

  1. THOSE SHOES ARE FAB - I WANT SOME

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm totally going to try the shoes!

    And I LOVE your background!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shoes and baby Walker is just he cutest!

    ReplyDelete